dinsdag 13 september 2011

Alas, no Aberdeen for me

Today I decided not to go to Aberdeen after all. I'm afraid the chemo is taking a heavier toll on me than I dared to admit. This Sunday we had a very nice birthday party for Nuria with 10 children going by train to Amsterdam, taking a tiny ferry grip across the IJ waters behind the railway sation, and then walking to the Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ, a wonderful concert hall offering mainily contemporary, alternative and non-western music (in the past few years, we cooperated with them on several Chinese music series). There is a seperate floor there with a 'sound-playground' where they conduct workshops for children from seven up, who can experiment with all kinds of newly invented music machines. For instance there's a kind of huge mushroom with all kinds of coloured patches. Each patch you touch or tap produces a different sound. A group of children are asked to stand around the machine and invent a soundscape together. There's a floor with light patches that give different sounds when you step or stamp on them, so you can dance your own composition. Then there are computers on which you can draw sounds (!), or compose pieces of music. It was a great success. But of course, on the way back I was pretty exhausted... I had another rather full day yesterday and woke up feeling sick and tired. So even though my acupuncturist had kind of given me the green light (apprehensively), I realized my body simply isn't up to travelling at the moment.
Ah, how I'll miss all those friends - an the Scottish music!!! I'm going to try to reach some friends through skype these days. If any of you happens to be on the conference with a skype-connected laptop, or if you're at home (or at work..) feeling like a small chat: the skype account name of my laptop is frankchime. Hope to see you there!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten